One of the largest offshore oil & gas industry events, the ONS 2010 (Offshore Northern Seas) Conference, will be happening August 24 through 27 in Stavanger, Norway. During this conference, a number of Emerson folks will be presenting on the application of technologies in offshore oil & gas production. These presentations include:
- Asset Management Overview: Asset management of instrument, valves, rotating, and process equipment, including online, offline, and wireless
- Daniel: Recent Innovations in Ultrasonic Measurement including new transducer releases and advanced diagnostics
- The DeltaV process automation system: Electronic Marshalling and I/O on Demand
- Emerson Valve Automation Overview
- Intelligent Well: Downhole Monitoring and Control – Investigate the benefits of measuring closer to the reservoir
- Micro Motion Coriolis Overview: mass flow measurement for metering, high flows, and meter verification
- Rosemount: Instrument measurement diagnostics in practice
- Roxar Subsea Flow Assurance: Covering the ROV retrieval tool and chemical injection valves
- Wireless Cost and Time Savings: The tool to cut down cost and implementation time
I received an advanced copy of the Emerson Valve Automation overview, which will be given by Ronald de Jong. The Valve Automation business is responsible for the Emerson valve and actuator brands including: Bettis, El-O-Matic, Shafer, Hytork, Dantorque, FieldQ, and EIM.
Together, these brands provide ¼-turn (rotary) actuators and linear (rising stem) actuators that are pneumatic and hydraulic, gas-hydraulic, multi- and ¼-turn electric driven. The Valve Automation team provides additional controls, accessories, valve procurement, packaging, and testing services. Offshore oil & gas production has it unique challenges and require engineered solutions such as:
- Gas/hydraulic actuators for block valves or main line isolation valves
- Direct gas actuators for block valves or main line isolation valves
- Pressure guard for emergency shutdown (ESD) application when no external power source is available
- Multiport flow selectors for test well selecting application
- Actuators for high vibration applications
- Actuators for surface safety valves
- Hydraulic power units
- Subsea actuators
- SIL-PAC for ESD applications
- Smart actuators
Ronald closes his presentation by describing the actuators commonly used in Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO), Floating Storage and Offloading (FSO), and Single Point Mooring (SPM) applications–for the turret (Shafer), topside (Bettis), and subsea (Dantorque) areas of these vessels.
If you’ll be at the ONS conference, check out Ronald’s and the others’ presentations and tell them hi from me.